Amount of maintenance law in India
Amount of maintenance–
(1) It shall be in the discretion of the court to
determine whether any, and if so what, maintenance shall be awarded under the provisions of this Act, and in doing so, the court shall have due regard to the consideration set out in sub-section (2) or sub-section (3), as the case maybe, so far as they are applicable.
(2) In determining the amount of maintenance, if any, to be awarded to a wife, children or aged or infirm parents under this Act, regard shall be had to-
- The position and status of the parties;
- The reasonable wants of the claimant;
- If the claimant is living separately, whether the claimant is justified in doing so;
- The value of the claimant’s property and any income derived from such property, or from the claimant’s own earning or from any other source;
- The number of persons entitled to maintenance under this Act.
(3) In determining the amount of maintenance, if any, to be awarded to a dependent under this Act, regard shall be had to-
- The net value of the estate of the deceased after providing for the payment of his debts;
- The provision, if any, made under a will of the deceased in respect, of the dependent;
- The degree of relationship between the two;
- The reasonable wants of the dependent;
- The past relations between the dependent and the deceased;
- The value of the property of the dependent and any income derived from such property, or from his or her earnings or from any other course;
- The number of dependents entitled to maintenance under this Act.