Change of Name

Change of Name

In India, anybody above the age of 18 is free to change his/her name. Let’s find out how we can change our name the legal way.

1 : Affidavit > Newspaper Advertisement > Gazette Publication

Go to your local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. Submit it in your respective District Court before a Magistrate or Notary Public. The Affidavit must mention the current name and the desired new name, and may mention in brief the reason for name change. The Affidavit must be made on a Non-Judicial Stamp Paper of minimal value. You need to Filling in a declaration known as the Pro Forma is the next step in legally changing your name. This application can be obtained from Dept. of Publication of any state

  • You will have to fill in this form in the presence of two witnesses and also get their signatures.
  • You will need to two attested photos of yourself.
  • A cover letter has to be drafted.

2:  Newspaper Advertisement

The next step is to publish advertisements announcing your name change in two local newspapers – one in the local official language and another in English.

Newspaper Publication.

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from _________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ____________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.

Note: We advise to keep the copy of the advertisement. Or full newspaper

3: Gazette Publication

You need to publish the name change in your State or Central Gazette after paying the requisite fee. Submit the application with documents (the Proforma, the newspaper with the ad, affidavit prepared initially and the attested passport size photos.). Your name change notification will be published in the state’s Official Gazette and you will be sent copies of the same at the address given by you. With Gazette notification, the name change is officially completed.

Now you can apply for name change in all other official documents by providing copies of Affidavit, newspaper ads and Gazette Notification as proof of name change.

Change of Name after Marriage

To make it easier, one just has to follow a few simple steps and the process would be simple to get the name changed in all the documents. Though  it is not mandatory to change names after marriage,

  1. The first step that is required marriage certificate.
  2. Once the marriage certificate is obtained, then you need to apply for a name change at the office of the State Government Gazette. They would include your name change and make it official through announcements through local newspapers. A copy of this advertisement could serve as a legal document for a name change, or A Joint notarized affidavit from a public notary would suffice the purpose. With the document you can request for change of name on the other documents which include PAN Card, Bank Documents, Passport, Driving license, Loans, Insurance, residential society and children’s school etc.

No Tag have Found!
Back To Home

Please activate some Widgets

© Copyright 2016 legalcops. All rights reserved. UOUAPPS

हिंदी में पढ़ें
WhatsApp chat
%d bloggers like this: